Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Rusty

It's been over a month since I last posted -- though it hasn't been a month since I've practiced. December allowed few opportunities to sit at the fake ivory keys of my harmonium due to work, holidays and general other life merriment (or is it that I made fewer opportunities to practice?). I practiced my scales but little else only sporadically. Just the other day I sat down to play after a long hiatus and was immediately struck by how rusty I was. Use it or lose it.

I was recently reminded by someone about the 10,000 hours theory of mastery. Practice 3 hours daily for 20 years, and you'll amass 10,000 hours of practice, or the theorized golden number of hours necessary to attain mastery over anything. It's very humbling to sit at the harmonium and practice something you once felt so confident in to now find it just out of reach. A few hours over the last two months? A drop in the bucket!

New year, new practice. Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment